Monday, 3 February 2014

Future directions

Okay so it's been a while since I last updated this thing. This is for several reasons. Firstly...not much has really been happening lately: I got my exam results towards the end of December, had my Christmas holiday then came back for a week long introduction to clinical medicine and our first community placement block. I've since had three weeks off, which will be coming to an end shortly.

The three week community medicine placement seems fairly laid back - the purpose of it is to become better acquainted with how disability and impairment can affect patients in their daily lives and to understand the ways in which our health and social care system can help them (or in some cases...what could be done better). I think we have to do a report and then we begin our first "proper" hospital based placements at the beginning of March, something I am obviously very excited about!

But yeah...there hasn't been much to think about lately...or at least...not much in the way of the typical things I normally think and write about. This kind of makes me wonder about the future direction of this blog. For the past four years, my blogging activities have mostly been a way for me to do deal with my own personal uncertainties and mostly academic neuroses; my struggle to do well in my BSc, my anxieties over getting med school interviews/offers, and more recently, my attempts to try and handle the pressure of accelerated pre-clinical medicine and to get through to the bit of the course I've been looking most forward to.

But these things are now largely in the past - I won't have any other major exams until March 2015, things should start becoming slightly less pressurised during this phase of the course, and I can't even moan about how useless I find things like lectures and group work...because that's all over now.

However...that said, I don't think that means that it'll be plain sailing for me from now on. Based on the knowledge I have of myself, my personality and my way of dealing with things, I still think I should blog as a method of stress relief and to make sense of things (even non-exam related things). Clinical medicine might be slightly less intense compared to the basic science onslaught which is years 1 and 2 of a medical degree, but I have no doubt that there will still be long hours, deadlines and (potential) emotional and personal uncertainties which might crop up as I finally ditch the lecture theatre and begin to learn how best to get to grips with the most fundamental and human aspect of the job: understanding and treating patients.

I think, therefore, I need to start becoming more comfortable with reflecting about non-academic matters on here. Up until now, I've talked about standard studenty things like exam pressure, results etc, and whilst I'm sure I'll still do this throughout the next 2.5 years, I think it would also be good if I attempted to think and reflect a bit more on here about the day-to-day aspects of being a medic, as opposed to being a student.

At the moment, I know I can talk to my friends, parents, etc about what goes on...so it's not like there isn't anyone who'd listen, but at the same time, there's nothing quite like sitting down, considering my thoughts and feelings over the course of an hour by myself, and then getting it all down in print. And then looking back on it weeks and months later to see how far I've come along. Spoken conversations just don't allow for that...so I suppose that's the reason why I'm keen to carry on writing, in one form or another.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you do carry on writing. I find a journal such as this is very cathartic, and its certainly an interesting/inspiring topic for us readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please carry on! You have a significant anonymous following!

    ReplyDelete